By that sin fell the angels. How can man then, the image of his maker hope to win by it?

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The 6th Edition Waiting Game...



I have a lot of thoughts on Daemons that I would like to share, but at the moment it seems a bit moot to post an in depth evaluation of units, strategy and tactics with 6th edition well on the way.  As such, I am in a bit of a stasis when it comes to writing - this is compounded by my daughter making it difficult to get much painting done.  Blood Crushers, I promise someday you will be shaded and based...possibly in the next few days with a day off coming due to travel.



I am also hesitant to comment too heavily on rule change rumors in an in depth manner.  Some of these changes I think are going to transform the way Daemons play - possibly break them a bit too given the new rumors of an upcoming codex which seems a bit premature to me with Tau, BT, DA, CSM, Eldar and SoB all with older books and the mandatory SM update for the new edition.  I will comment on a few of these rumors though.

Preferred Enemy:  Will allow re-roll of 1's to wound for shooting and CC - WhiteHat on warseer

Here is a change I can get behind.  GK right now benefit heavily from their preferred enemy rules against Daemons in CC and we knew it was going to include shooting (see Destroyers in the Necron codex).  This is the best case change I think - with psybolt ammo and Hammerhand GK were wounding on 2's against Daemonettes and Horrors anyway and WS was/is a much better protection mechanism for Daemons.  This change enhances that protection and if the To Hit table remains unchanged I expect to see a little less than 25% less casualties from GK attacks.

Addendum: Whitehat mentions that this is in addition to current rules for Preferred Enemy on Faeit's Blog.  This is a bummer.

To Hit Vehicles: Vehicles are (count as?) WS 0 if stationary and WS 1 if they move - Whitehat on warseer

I am sure there is a new To Hit table but this is huge.  Even if it is only hitting on a 4+ all the time, that is a great change for Daemons to take out vehicles.  The downside to some of these nerfs is we will probably see more infantry and more bodies on the field to pour out small arms fire.  I like dealing with that problem though more than pounding on the side of a vehicles and then being shot to death.

Challenges: An IC can challenge another IC in combat and they direct their attacks at one another - if refused the refusing player's IC cannot attack - Whitehat on Warseer, Grant via Faeit

Skulltaker just got more awesome.  I like this change for Daemons to snipe out annoying IC like Sanguinary Priests, Librarians et cetera.  Forcing the opponent to forgo attacks to protect the IC is an acceptable side bonus given we could do nothing before.

Move Assault Shoot: The new order of phases.

I think this might speed up the game, especially if the assault moves are made in the movement phase.  This eliminates the three moves I had to make on fleet units to move, run, charge and reduces my own measuring errors.  Since I tend to be conservative overall in my estimates this can only help.  That being said, the lack of Daemon shooting matters less now, but we still have the same problem when it comes to vehicles that we cannot both break a unit out of a vehicle and assault it the same turn to deny it shooting.

This does prompt you to consider just not taking any shooting though, since the benefit will really depend on how hard it is to break vehicles in assault vs shooting.

This is more than I meant to get into, but I am itching to discuss the new rule set and how it relates to Daemons.  I am hoping it makes my pure Slaanesh Daemons into a power house as I have diversified a bit into Crushers, Flamers, Horrors and Screamers.

No comments:

Post a Comment