By that sin fell the angels. How can man then, the image of his maker hope to win by it?

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

1250 - 4 Player FFA - Round 1

I have already posted twice about the rules and list associated with this four player FFA tournament and now it is time for some reports. The rules can be found here for rules while my most recent proposed list can be found here for list. Unfortunately, I realized when I arrived in Rochester at the in-laws that I had misplaced 10 Horrors somewhere but I had thankfully brought an extra set of Fiends with me. In the end I took a list close to my original proposition with Horrors instead of Daemonettes - in retrospect I think I should have nabbed the Daemonettes for this kind of game but they Horrors led to some epic moments. The final list was:

Chaos Daemons

HQ
Fateweaver

Elite
6x Fiends
6x Bloodcrushers w/ Chaos Icon, Fury of Khorne, Instrument

Troops
18x Plaguebearer w/ Chaos Icon (these will have a painting article/concept article soon!)
9x Horrors w/ Changeling



Round 1

I end up at a table with a bunch of impassable terrain and get to choose the first deployment zone. Another recount of this battle can be found here by hyv3mynd - I used some of his pics in this but provide my own perspective.

I choose the one with the least terrain so I can have some safe landing spots and my opponents clockwise are Imperial Guard, Orks, Dark Eldar. Their lists (these are very close, I may have missed a minor upgrade here or there though) are:

Imperial Guard

HQ
Company Command Squad w/ 3x Plasmaguns, Astropath, Master of Ordinance and Medic in Chimera

Elite
Sly Marbo

Troops
10x Veteran Guardsmen w/ Demolitions and 3x Meltagun
10x Veteran Guardsmen w/ Demolitions and 3x Flamer in Chimera

Fast Attack
Valkyrie w/ Lascannon

Heavy Support
Basilisk w/ Camo Netting
Basilisk w/ Camo Netting
Deathstrike Missile Launcher w/ Camo Netting (could be brutal in this game!)

Orks

HQ
Warboss w/ Power Klaw, Mega Armor (he may not be able to take the Armor) w/ TL Shoota

Elite
3x Mega Armoured Nobz w/ Skorcha, Rokkit in a Trukk w/ Red Paint Job
9x Lootas w/ Mek

Troops
30x Ork Boyz w/ 3x Big Shoota, Nob, Boss Pole, Klaw
30x Ork Boyz w/ 3x Big Shoota, Nob, Boss Pole, Klaw

Fast Attack
3x Deff Kopta w/ TL Rokkit

Heavy Support
3x Killer Kanz w/ 2x Rokkit, Grotzooka
3x Big Gunz

Dark Eldar
The DE was a WWP list crafted by hyv3mynd listed on his blog here. He is also the provider of pictures for the game since I negligently forgot my camera and I am going to steal some of his for the first two reports - the last will be the compliments of a Camera Phone.

For these reports I am not going to detail all the moves, with too much going on to account for effectively - but I will provide enough to recreate the flow of the game.

Deployment
Naturally I am all in reserve and the DE are also in reserve other than a spread out Grotesque Death Star consisting of 2x Haemoculus and an Archon. The Orks deploy centrally with their shooting while the guard do the same with their Artillery hidden behind Chimeras. The Kanz stayed near the Guard to make mincemeat out of some tanks (putting them into the Grotesques could have been brutal, but it was not to be) and the Koptas go into outflank reserve.
The Guard scouted their Vendetta forward w/ a set of Demo Vets inside - although why he did not flat out towards the center is beyond me! We draw for turns (randomly determined which could be good or bad) and the order is Orks, Daemons, Dark Eldar, Guard. Here is a photo of the Ork deployment and the scarily close Guard line...



Turn 1

The Orks surge ahead and shoot down the Valkyrie with their first lobba shot from the Big Gunz with a roll of 6 - 6 -6 - they pepper the crew with gunfire and they break and run! A few Lootas go into the Grotesques and put a smattering of wounds on them. The Warboss cleans up the rest of the Valk squad with some shoota action causing them to flee.



Across the board I choose Fateweaver, Bloodcrushers and Fiends as my preferred wave and get it. They all land without incident, although the Crushers get close to the impassible terrain with a big scatter.



I chose to land nearer to the Guard since they are getting pinched by the Orks already (whom they NEED to deal with) and to avoid the Grotesque Deathstar from the DE. The Orks are pushing on his flank as well and I should be out of assault range for the beast pack with Fate from my run.

Turn 2
The guard are stuck last again while the Orks go first and I am second. Someone convinces him to Loota my crushers who just laugh about it without needing Fateweaver. The Warboss grab the center while noone can contest it and continue to pummel the guard and approach the Dark Eldar.



You can finally make out the beautiful DE army in the bottom of this picture. I want nothing to do with its assault elements and I move up to contest the central objective and keep everyone else in Fateweaver range.



From the Dark Eldar side of the board rolling is terrible as multiple blasters cannot take down the Warboss Trukk and he is forced to send the Talos into the Ork Boyz Mob on his flank. The Nob does a few wounds and a pile of boyz go down.
In the meantime, the guard unload on the Orks and kill some Kans, boyz and scatter most their templates. The Deathstrike fails to go off.

Turn 3
Once again the guard is last (how unlucky) with Orks first, myself and then Dark Eldar. The Deffkoptas come in on the guard flank but do not have buzzsaws and are scarily close to my Fiends (seen in the picture above). The Orks are tangled in terrain so most of the action happens when the Dark Eldar throw their beast pack into the pile of Boyz and wipe them out - but only after the Nob finishes the Talos with a final Klaw swing.



I am relieved the Beasts are just out of range of horrors I had Deep Struck in on my turn - who took out the Lootas with a volley and caused them to flee (which is not wort any points!). I had managed to smash into the Koptas - although I considered hitting the IG parking lot and moved my Crushers up to contest the center and control the board a bit.

All my fears about my Horrors are moot - however, when Marbo comes in and Demo charges most the beasts and himself. The Beasts then fail their leadership and run off the board! The Horrors cackle and eye the Kannons for next turn.

Turn 4
For those counting the current score total is...Orks 9, Daemons 3, IG 2, DE 2 Luckily the Orks are running out of Boyz at this point and I get to take the second turn. the DE manage to finally blow away the Trukk and assault the warboss inside grabbing another 4 points.



I smash into the guard vehicle parking lot with predictable results - taking out the Deathstrike (to the joy of the DE player) a Chimera and immobilizing a Basilisk - which was wrecked in the next guard assault phase - while the crushers continue to move towards the center and fail an assault against the Grotesques. They are slooow. Fate has been taking ineffective pot shots this whole time but the Horrors nuke the Lobbas for more points. The Orks and guard punch one another to a drawn combat that I am hoping to pile into and steal some points from.

Turn 5
It is the last turn and my 6 points put me in first on the table. The guard do what they can to snag a cheap Fateweaver KP, but I make my saves. My Plagues finally come in but we do not even bother as noone can kill 19 PB in one turn. The Fate breaks apart the last guard Chimera while the Fiends take down the guard infantry along with the lone Ork remaining from the multiple combat. I charge into the Grots for fun and punchout a Haemy while Fate also burns the command squad - but they flee so I cannot assault to grab the killpoint.

We total the points and I have won the table by taking advantage of a vulnerable guard player who took down most the Orks I cleaned up. I also took one HQ unit out, which apparently matters but I was unaware of the importance at the time.



No comments:

Post a Comment