By that sin fell the angels. How can man then, the image of his maker hope to win by it?

Sunday, June 3, 2012

1500 Point Throne of Skulls Event

Millennium games is running a Throne of Skulls style event with a few hitched (common to the types of events being run).  I am hoping to get out for both the ToS tournament and the 1250 team tournament lock in following it.  The major points for list construction are...

Special Characters: -5 points
Duplicates: -2 points
Triplicated: -4 points
Dedicated Transports: -2 for each over 3



This does not apply to troop choices, which means I can expect a pretty diverse set of opponents.  I was very tempted to do something I almost never do for this event - take a special character.  The choice in the Daemons codex essentially comes between Skarbrand or Fateweaver.

They both have advantages, Skar makes it easier to break open transports, provides my mainly Slaanesh forces with a lot of punch and is a beast in and of himself.  Fateweaver, in contrast, makes my Daemons much more durable and also brings some BS 5 shooting to the table.  With a restriction on Transports already I am inclined towards Fate - and I have not had much time to test Skar.

The problem is - I really hate to just give up Battle Points in a tournament.  Call me old fashioned, but I dislike the idea of being destined to lose based on penalties.  The list I am considering is:

HQ
Fateweaver

Elite
6x Fiends
6x Fiends
4x Bloodcrushers w/ Full Kit

Troops
12x Daemonettes
5x Horrors w/ Bolt
5x Horrors w/ Bolt
5x Horrors w/ Bolt

Fast Attack
12x Seekers

If I lose Fateweaver for a Herald of Tzeetch I can add in 2 more crushers and another troop unit of Horror.  The real decision point, though, is going to be painting (as usual for me).  I still have 2x Crushers to complete to get to 6x, 12x Seekers to finish and 5x Horrors.  A pretty big painting load with the little one - looks like too much diablo 3 for me and not enough paint brush time.

5 comments:

  1. Don't forget triplicate troops are -4 also.

    "Any triplicates including troops and dedicated transports (regardless of type I.e 3 rhinos or, 2 rhinos and a razor back OR, 1 rhino, 1 razor back, 1 chimera) will net you -4"

    I was pretty bummed over the penalties since I discussed my concept and list with Ben at the may tournament on 5/12 when there were no penalties. Then 9 days later he changed the scoring and added penalties for spam and special characters... wtf.

    Anyways, my list will also be -7 for one special character and one dupe, but it's probably the "hardest" tournament list I've ever used. I don't feel too bad tho, I've never used a special character in a tournament in over 2 years of events and it's my last chance in 5th ed.

    At least you have a better chance getting the "only daemon player" bonus than me with GK hah. See you Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely forgot that triplicate troops also counted. I guess that means I will probably swap out a unit of Horrors for 2 more Bloodcrushers in that case.

      I remember that conversation, I like the idea of running comped events in general. However, I think there needs to be proper notice and heavy comp can (and does) tend to reduce attendance. It is hard to put together an army to meet those restrictions when most of what you have/play with is going to cost you points.

      Delete
    2. Totally agree. I enjoy comp events when it's hard comp and everyone has the same restrictions/bans.

      This week's event can potentially be the worst type as the comp is "optional" if you pay the penalties. We'll probably see 3 types of lists at least based on what I've seen in the past. #1 People who bring what they want and pay the penalty. #2 People who game the system (usually guard IME) and are able to beat the penalties with non-dedicated transports and vehicle squadrons. #3 People who bring a fluffy, compy list.

      This dynamic propagates the pro/anti-comp arguments that divide our community, which is too bad for the last event of 5th ed.

      Delete
  2. That is probably one of the most eloquent descriptions of the trade off I face in list building for these kinds of events. I generally like being forced to make decisions with armies, but when the decision is balancing maximum points with the risk of being massacred for 3 games by 'ard lists with sacrificing points for power the result is never fun.

    Knowing how competitive I am, I almost always opt for the latter option - I would rather have a shot in 3 games than lost with underpowered armies any day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right, which is the same position I take. Both of our armies of choice are generally accepted as outdated or underpowered (nids, daemons, sisters) compared to the new hotness like GK and Necrons. How do we compensate to remain competitive against a field that will potentially have armies with 6+ transports or 3+ rifleman dreads? Optimize our counters like hive guard and fiends.

    This results in an escalation in the competitive optimization of lists resulting in an increasing disparity in power levels of lists between the guys who show up with fluffy/compy armies and those with optimized competitive lists. This is why I prefer the "hard comp" restrictions over nickel and dime penalties.

    I used to play along and make compy lists, show up expecting to place, and get pissed when I didn't. I would blame my losses on facing "harder" armies because I brought a list I didn't like to conform to optional comp and avoid penalties.

    Now, I play what I want, show up expecting to lose, and am genuinely tickled if I do place. I don't blame my losses on list mismatches and I'm generally a happier hobbyist as a result.

    ReplyDelete