By that sin fell the angels. How can man then, the image of his maker hope to win by it?

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Da Boyz GT - 1850 List


Although I may have managed to get permission for a trip to Adepticon this year - realistically the Da Boyz GT is the only chance I have to play in a large 40k event each year.  Last year I, unfortunately, finished poorly overall due to my lack of painting and the strict composition rules enforced.  When it comes to battle points, however, I was in the running until the end and on Turn 5 of my last game I believe had a shot at Best General.  Unfortunately, a little bit of luck (or lack thereof!) and my own mistakes foiled that.

This year I want to bring a fully painted army (I know I know I took some unpainted models with me last year to a GT), which means buckling down and deciding what I am going to play now.  I do have some CSM models - but without the new rules and with unpainted cultists, helbrute, lord and chosen I do not see myself prepping those models in time.  That means pure Daemons again, and it also means I need to flesh out my list.  Fortifications are, generically, out for Daemons since there are none that really benefit them.  Instead, I am planning to bring the following list...



HQ

Fateweaver

Fate really provides multiple roles in this army.  He (she in my case) is a Flyer that can Vector Strike as necessary while also skyfiring Bolts and Gaze int flyers.  She is a force multiplier in general, and some decent position on my part coupled with potential Night Fight on Turn 1 can give me some great saves to reroll.  I can also shield her from assault as needed using Turbo Boosting Screamers - more on that later!

Paint Status - Need to finish wings, based

Elite

6x Fiends
6x Fiends

I know that Fiends are not quite in vogue anymore with the emergence of Screamers - but they still have a lot  to offer for an assault heavy list.  Fiends throw out 5 attacks at I 5, with fleet for charge certainty (or at least a bit more certainty).  Their competitor in this slot is also flamers - which are excellent and I will bring, but as I only have 1 unit and that unit is not painted, it is a 2 to 1 mix of Fiends to flamers.  I also like the way Fiends can reach out an touch an opponent a bit more effectively than Flamers (potentially 24" of assault while that can tie up units).

Paint Status - Complete - unbased

6x Flamers

These are a no brainer at this point - they cause opponents to diffuse their firepower and help remove castling, they provide board control and I have units to bail them out if they do get hit with an assault.  No Pyrocaster. although I think the upgrade is good, because I just do not have the points.  I would like to bring Crushers - but for them to be effective I would want to bring 5 or 6 - and there just is not the points for it.

Paint Status - 3 base coated, 3 unprimed - unbased

Troops

9x Horrors
9x Horrors

I experimented with a large 18x Horror squad in my last tournament, but it was hard to evaluate them given how the games went.  I think two larger units that can wipe out 4+ opponents with shooting is a good compromise.  Notice I do not have bolt on them - I do not think it is needed at this point, although I would take it if I had the extra room.

Paint Status - 9x Detail painting, 9x primed - unbased

5x Plaguebearers
5x Plaguebearers

I usually like to run Daemonettes in this slot, but once again there really is not space for them.  These guys are going to come down on objectives or for Linebreaker and hang out.  Maybe they will eat some overwatch fire on a charge as well.

Paint Status - Drybrushing 9x - unbased

Fast Attack

9x Screamers

These guys are great - and a large unit provides a lot of damage resistance- especially with their cover save from Turbo Boosting - and I like the utility from their slashing attacks.  S5 AP 2, Armourbane speaks for itself.

Paint Status - 9x basecoated - no bases needed!

Heavy Support

2x Soul Grinder w/ Phlegm

I liked Grinders before and I thought they were good with the old vehicle damage rules.  AV 13 now is outstanding and 4x Hull Points makes them a great gun platform to spread out opponents while providing localized assault coverage.  The ability of blast markers to hit at full strength now, makes them great for taking down parking lots as well.

Paint Status - 2x tabletop standard - need detailing work on some components.

This is what I am going with for now, I might make some tweaks as I playtest it out a little bit.

3 comments:

  1. Scary list. Are you going to bring it out on 10/13?

    I don't think I could stop it but I'd like a game against it either way just to see how daemons play out in 6th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am angling to get to Millenium that weekend to run this list and get some practice in - we will see if it works out, but even so I will be in Rochester at least twice before the GT. If you want to grab a few games, I will get in touch a week or so before I plan to be there.

      Delete
    2. Sounds good man. If you give me a week's notice I can usually work something out.

      Delete