By that sin fell the angels. How can man then, the image of his maker hope to win by it?

Monday, October 24, 2011

Da Boyz Round 1 - Grey Knights

I wanted to give back a bit to all those Battle Reps I have enjoyed over the last year.  To do so, I wrote the story of my Daemons here at Da Boyz GT.   I did not win the event (in fact my painting/comp score took me right out of the running), but I did manage to stay in the running for Battle Points!

In a tournament dominated by Grey Knights the Chaos Gods call upon members of an elite team called the Bandwagon Breaking Unit to corrupt the metagame.  These are their stories.



Round 1 - Dwindling Supplies:

Opponent: Grey Knights
Deployment: Pitched Battle
Primary: Objectives (with a twist!)
Secondary: Kill Points

Scenario Rules:

Depleted Objectives
Place an objective marker at the center of each quarter and the board (5 objectives).  On turn 4 each player may remove a single objective from the game.

Dwindling Supplies
At the start of turn 5 roll a die for each unit.  On a roll of a 6, mark that unit as 'out of ammunition' (it cannot shoot or use saves/cc attacks provided by wargear).

Resupply
For each objective you control at the start of the turn you may 'resupply' a unit, by removing an 'out of ammunition' token

My opponent named Matt is a relatively new Grey Knights player.  He also works the night shift, so he admits he is a bit tired overall.  To cap it off he has not played against Daemons before, which makes this a tough matchup for him.  He is playing:



HQ
GK Grand Master

Elite
5x Purifiers w/ 2 Incinerators and Daemon Hammer
4x Paladins w/ Apothecary and Brotherhood Banner

Troops
5x Strike Squad w/ 2x Psycannons
5x Terminators w/ Incinerator (maybe?)

Fast Attack
Storm Raven

Heavy Support
Purgation Squad w/ 4x Psycannons
Land Raider
Dreadknight w/ Heavy Psycannon

I think I have his list correct, due to the last minute nature of his decision to attend and some local printer problems he was not able to make a copy.  Here is a picture of the board pre-deployment.



Deployment
I won the roll to go first, and opted to take the first turn.  Matt started his LR and Dreadknight on the board and reserved the rest of his army to Deep Strike in in later turns.  This was good with me, since it meant more limited shooting on Turn 2 after I deployed.

Turn 1

Matt shuffled around and listened for the crickets chirping.  I asked the Dark Gods for 2x Soul Grinders, 2x Fiends, Seekers, Chariot and Horrors.  I then promptly roll a 1 and that goes out the window!

My secondary wave comes in without incident other than a squad of horrors scattering 12" forward towards my opponents LR (the skyshield is hiding them) and the flamers having to do some running to get back.

Shooting was uneventful with the loss of only a single Horror after saves were made.


Turn 2
Pictured below is my turn 2 after reserves come in.



I had good reserve rolls and managed to get in Horrors, Seekers, Soul Grinder, and Tzeetch Chariot without incident although my Horrors decide to make it a close thing.  I then Turbo Boost the screamers so they are dangerously close to his Land Raider and generally move units towards the enemy with running.  Matt on the other hand gets average reserve rolls and his Terminators, Purifiers and a Strike Squad come in.  He is aggressive with his DS, but does not mishap anything, although his terminators get close.




Turn 3
It is time to remove objectives and it is pretty obvious the one in my left quadrant will be gone.  I take the one diagonal from it and then fail all my reserve rolls.  That is okay though because I am in good shape with his Land Raider not moving last turn and all my Daemonettes getting good move through cover/fleet rolls.  I shoot his Purifiers with the Tzeetch Herald and manage to kill three while the rest make it into combat taking out the Purifiers and all but 2 Strike Marines.  The Land Raider is wrecked by Melta bombs and things look good at the end of my/start of Matt's Turn 3 below.


Matt gets the rest of his army in but mishaps the GM (DS'ing separately) into the Soul Grinder's leg while the purifiers take some shots at the SG but fail to hurt it.  His Purgation squad shoot down a number of Horrors as they DS onto the platform just out of the right of the picture.  The Terminators pile into my Daemonettes who somehow survive but fail to take down the Terminators or Strike Marine.

Turn 4
We are now into dwindling supplies territory and I lose my soul grinder weapons, Daemonettes Rending and the Horrors shooting.  I am relieved that I did not lose the Flamers, who I plan to use to kill the purgation squad.  I get my SG in off the icon to take some pot shots at the Dreadknight.

I multicharge the Dreadknight with the Fiends and the Seekers who take it down before it can strike.  I also tie up the Paladins with the soulgrinder, who flops ineffectively against them having lose his dreadnought weapons.  The Daemonettes are finished off but the entire Purgation squad goes down to Flamers.


I apologize for this blurry picture, the lighting at the venue was difficult at times.

My opponent surveys the situation, he has terminators left and his paladins are locked in combat.  The Terminators are about to get flamered and the paladins are stuck until the end of the game.  He concedes at this point and we talk about the game, playing Daemons and I wish him luck.

Matt was a great guy and in another setting I would have really liked to work through some Grey Knights strategy with him, as well as, provided some reminding of GK rules.  We hit some of these after the game and stayed in touch through the tournament.  Matt went on to improve his game and pulled out a win in his last game through, from his description, some good strategic play.

Result: 35 Points Victory

This seems to be a habit of mine in tournaments like this, and I am anxious to see what I am playing next round.  The matchup will be key since it is a Kill Points game.

No comments:

Post a Comment